Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Not quite done... here's some more...

Is it just me or does Christmas feel more and more like a cop-out? Not to be pessimistic (and those who know me know just how the opposite I really am) but it seems that some (or maybe a whole lot) of people use Christmas as a time to get there one good deed/ thought out of the way.

Christmas is promoted as a time of peace and goodwill towards all people. But what happened to the other 364 days of the year? Is it really okay just to offer one small pathetic token of goodwill haphazardly and call it a day?

I don’t think so!

I look around at the people speeding past me on the sidewalks and wonder, what exactly, the rush is. I can understand it if you’re running for the bus or are late for work, but people seem to walk with such speed and determination to make it to their next destination a little bit faster, a little bit better than the person they just passed.

Don’t get me wrong! I’m hardly a cynic. In fact, I’m one of the most optimistic people you’ll meet; the true idealist. Because I believe that if we only took one precious moment a day to truly get to know and understand another human being, they wouldn’t seem so different from ourselves. And by understanding that person, it would be that much harder to hate them. If we didn’t hate them, what would be the point of hurting them? (And keep in mind that there are many, many ways to hurt a person).

Personally, I think the whole exercise of making someone lesser than ourselves would be pointless. And if all these idealistic ideas make me strange, make me a hippie; make me a freak … than so be it. I’m all that and more.

And how does all this tie in to Christmas you ask? Well, I believe that one should make overtures of peace and friendship to everyone we encounter, everyday of our lives. Not just because it’s Christmas.

* * * * *

And yet, I find myself searching for the true meaning of Christmas. I’ve never been religious and I don’t believe in a single deity or god. But I am very spiritual; even more so recently. Having undergone a bit of a revelation, I search for some ultimate meaning in all the craziness that is the holiday season.

I know in part, it means re-establishing the deep connection I have with my family and friends. But to be honest, I try to do that al the time. So, I’ll continue my search. And if you have any thoughts on the matter, feel free to give them.

No comments: