Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Friday, December 25, 2009

The Anti-Scrooge

People can still surprise me.

I'm at my in-laws place for Christmas. My MIL and I run to the store to pick up a few things because I was going to make fudge tonight and dinner on Monday (mmm, Tagine). We had to run to a second store because the first was all out of the mini marshmallows needed to make the fudge. The second store didn't have it either so I opted for regular marshmallows and would cut them up.

I get in line to pay for them and put them behind the items for the guy in front of me. He looks at me, grabs the marshmallows and puts them with his order. He says that he'll grab them for me. I said I had change but he said not to worry about it, so I said okay, and thanked him for being so generous. They only costed $1.39 but it was the point that counts here.

An elderly lady gets in line behind us and puts her few items up on the conveyor belt. He looks at the cashier and asks how much she thinks her items costed. She said about $25.oo. He motions to her items and says, "these ones too". The elderly woman looked very confused at first but when he explained that he would pay for her groceries, well, you should have seen the look on her face. She gave him this big hug and even kissed him on the cheek. He laughed and then frantically rubbed his cheek to remove the bright red lipstick away. He asked us if he had gotten it all off and sure enough he did. I could just picture him going home to a wife or girlfriend and what would have happened if he didn't get it all off.

He wished us a Merry Christmas and there was a round of hugs. I think we all had a bounce to our step as we left.

I don't even think I bothered to put on my gloves. I didn't even notice the minus 5 degree Celsius chill.

It's nice to know that simple generosity still exists. I do wonder though, was it a random act on his part or did he plan it? Did he leave for the store saying, I've got a little extra money, why don't I pay for someone's stuff? I'll never know and you know what? I don't think it matters.

Merry Christmas. May we all find a little generosity this holiday season- whether financially or just in love and friendship.

Peace to all.

5 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

What a nice thing to do!

My personal Christmas pleasantry (which, it should be noted, I do not do most of the time the rest of the year) is to let people in to traffic. Some people, anyway. But, I will actually make room for people to get in, and for me (a fairly aggressive and impatient driver), that is a major sacrifice.

Glad you were able to encounter someone who could make your holidays a little more special!

Quiet Dreams said...

What a great story. I hope you have a fabulous Christmas.

Melis.sa said...

Merry Christmas! What a nice reminder that kindness still exists :)

Jamie said...

What a wonderful story, perfect for Christmas. It made me tear up. It also made me want to pay the favor forward. I think we sometimes forget how such a simple act can make a great impact on someone else.

..al said...

How so very nice of him...may you continue to be surrounded by and randomly bump into good people...

Have a beautiful 2010!