Welcome

This blog is no longer being updated, but if you like what you see here, be sure to join me over at Life Pared Down!

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Seriously? Almost Worth a Laugh

I was a little bit excited. This afternoon (and every Wednesday afternoon), my health unit, which is two blocks away has a Parent/ Baby Drop-in. I've yet to make it once. But today was supposed to be a holiday celebration/social. I figured I should go. Boy was I nervous! Normally I could walk into a room of 500 strangers and mingle no problem. But these days I become shy and unsure how to talk to people. Friends and family are hard enough, but strangers? It's a whole other battle.

But I fed Bean, ate something myself, got both of us dressed, put her in the stroller armed with a rain cover and headed out. It was pouring! I walked the five minutes in the rain only to find out that the baby group was cancelled for all of Nov and Dec due to the H1N1 Vaccination Clinic they were running.

It took all of my strength not to cry right there and then.

I dragged myself home. I did consider going for a walk. H*ll, going anywhere would have been nice, but between the rain and the fact that elevator at our Sky.train station is out till Jan.8, I didn't have the energy for the long expedition required to get anywhere I'd want to go.

Bean fell asleep for her nap soon after we got home. Then my friend K called. Both of us weren't having the best day. We vented and listened. It was nice. After we hung up, I took advantage of a sleeping baby and went for my own nap. 50 minutes before I woke up on my own! I'm not complaining.

Bean was still asleep when I got up so I git dinner going. It's simmering as I speak. Tonight, R and I are off to the holiday social for his Barber.shop chorus. I'm somewhat rested, am filling up on caffeine and actually calm.

Maybe today is a better day than I thought...

5 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Oh no! How annoying. But, it sounds like it turned out to be a better day anyway. That's the way, Lindsay - take it one day at a time, and you can slowly refill your tank.

Kristin said...

I'm glad the day finished on a better note than it started on.

Melis.sa said...

ooo that nap sounds delicious!!

I'm hoping that your night ends perfectly with your DH and your little bean :)

..al said...

Wow...it really was cold water on your hopes...but I am glad that it ended better than it began.

And yes, it always helps to have considerate listeners in whom we can confide....

IF Optimist, then... said...

Annoying to say the least. Frustrating and maddening come to mind too. If I could be there, I'd take you both to the yummy gelato place on Robson street, no matter how rainy or cold. What flavor would you get? Me? I love hazelnut.

Too cold for gelato? We could get BBQ pork and noodle soup if you wanted to warm your belly. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Just think that when the weather is better, she'll be old enough to see and point and interact with all the summertime wonders.